Forums

• Tue Nov 02 2004, 05:15pm
    Fri Sep 14 2007, 06:55pm  
    JamesBOMB
    Level 1

So you are new here and want to know what you need to download to be able to play the game. Here's all the information you need to get started.

Enemy Territory is a free online game. Its a stand-alone game, which means you don't have to have the previous version (RTCW) in order for it to work. There is ONLY a multi-player side to the game (the single player part was dropped by the development team).

To play the game, you must download it, then connect to a server.

UPDATE JULY 2007
    Now available in the "Downloads" section is a new 2.60b full install for Windows. This is the latest version of the game.
    http://enemy-territory.4players.de:1041/download.php?view.367

Or one can go about installing the game and updates separately:
    To be up-to-date on the game:
    First, get the game. (The original 2.55 version)

Second, you need to install the 2.60 patch, which will fix some bugs in the game. MAC users need not install any patch as the game comes in version 2.60 already.

Third, you need to install the 2.60b patch.
    (Note: you must install 2.60 before installing 2.60b)

All files are available in the "Downloads" section.

If you have "Windows" see this post by Nail for convenient links:
    http://enemy-territory.4players.de:1041/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?183823

How to install game and latest update/patch separately:
    Assuming one is using Windows...

1 - Download and install basic game (version 2.55)

2 - Download and install 2.60 update. This is an 'exe' file so all one has to do is run the downloaded file.

3 - Download and extract the 2.60b update.
    After running/extracting the zip file...
    - look under the "Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory" folder
    - under there is a folder called "Enemy Territory 2.60b"
    - under there is a folder called "win32" with two files; et.exe and etded.exe
    - replace the two existing files (with the same name) in the "Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory" folder with the two new files from the "win32" folder

If you want to start playing right away you can. All you need to do is find a server and connect to it. Make sure that your firewall(s), if you have any, doesn't block Enemy Territory or else things won't work. Although, taking a few moments to read the manual would be appreciated by those already playing the game.

To find a server to play on, start the game then click "Play Online" in the main menu. This will bring up the server list. Make sure that "Internet" is selected in the "Filters" section (click "Source" to change it). Click on a server to choose it, enable PunkBuster and then click "Join Server" in the lower right of the browser. Off you go to play!

Next up are maps. The game comes with 6 standard maps:
    Battery
    Oasis
    Goldrush
    Radar
    Rail Gun
    Fuel Dump

Many independent map makers have made new maps to make the game more fun. Many people ask "which maps should I download?" There is no real answer to that question. Some maps are more popular, like Temple Final, Caen and Supply Depot. Some are less popular. It all depends where you want to play. Each server will have its own map selection (or rotation) and you need to have them all in order to play there. The best thing to do is to get as many maps as you can. Note that some servers allow you to download maps while you are connecting to them. However, most of the time, the download speed is slow. So downloading them before is usually a good idea.

After downloading the maps, you have to put the .pk3 files in your "etmain" folder.

Of course, if the file is a .rar or .zip then you have to extract the archive to get a .pk3 file... only those will work with ET.

Please note that if you are using Windows XP and have installed Service Pack 2, that your computer replaces the .pk3 extention with a .zip when you download. If that is the case, simply change the file extention to .pk3 and all should be ok.

Next are mods (game modifications made by players to make the game different and or better). When you connect to a server, you will automatically download the correct mod so you don't have to worry about that.

There are also other programs that can help you play the game, but are not necessary:

Server browsers (like All Seeing Eye and Pathfinder)
    Voice-over-web programs (like Ventrillo and Teamspeak)
    Enemy Territory Minimiser
    etc.

All these and more can be found in the "Downloads" section.

I know what you're saying to yourself. "I don't want to read the manual. All I want to do is play." However I urge you to please read the manual anyway. If you don't, I'm CERTAIN you will end up coming back here and posting questions like these:

"How can I steal a uniform?"
    "How do I spot mines?"
    "How can I make my name in color?"
    "Where can I find the mobile MG / panzer / sniper gun / etc"

And then all of us here will just scream at you: GO READ THE MANUAL ITS ALL IN THERE!!!

So save us all and read the manual BEFORE you play. Its a very fast read and you will instantly become better at the game. The manual comes with the game. It is also available on the interwebbynet: http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/4players/hosted/et/manual/Manual/Default.htm

Oh yeah, in case you are wondering, here are the minimum system requirements for the game:
    *Processor Type: Intel® Pentium® II ;processor, AMD Athlon™ processor ;
    *Processor Speed: 400MHz
    *Operating System: Windows 95/98, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, Windows XP;
    *System Memory: 128MB RAM;
    *Hard Drive Space: 800MB;
    *Video: 3D hardware accelerator with 16MB VRAM with full Open GL suport, 16-bit high-color Video mode;
    *Sound Card: DirectX 3.0-compatible or higher;
    *Drive Type and Speed: CD-ROM 4x;
    *Modem: 56.6 Kbps;
    *Additional Requirements: Keyboard and mouse, Internet service required to access online features

It is recommended you have the following:
    * Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP OS (Windows NT 4.0 not recommended for clients) or Linux
    * 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP/Linux compatible system (including all 32bit drivers)
    * Intel® Pentium® III 600Mhz processor or AMD equivalent
    * 128 MB RAM
    * 32 MB 100% fully OpenGL® compliant 3-D video card
    * Microsoft® Direct X® 8.1 or higher (not included)
    * 271 MB total disk space for game files
    * 500 MB free disk space for swap file
    * 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible keyboard
    * 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible mouse
    * 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible sound card
    * For internet play, 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP
    compatible 56.6k modem or better internet connection. 56.6k modem play is not recommended for games with more than 8 players total; broadband players should be able to handle up to 32 depending on their connection with the server on which they're playing.

The following video cards were fully tested with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory:

GeForce 4 Ti 4600
    GeForce 4 MX
    GeForce 3
    GeForce 2 Ultra
    GeForce 2 MX
    GeForce256
    Radeon 8500/64
    Radeon 7200/64
    Radeon 9700 Pro/128
    Xabre 400

If after getting all those files and reading all the above mentioned material you still have a question or a problem, try reading our very nice Frequently Asked Question sections:

If your question is STILL unanswered, we invite you to post in the appropriate forum section. Someone will help you. Remember to use "Search" as your question might have already been asked and answered before (which is very likely).

Have fun and welcome to the community!
  • Mon Feb 28 2005, 06:44pm
    Tue Mar 13 2007, 06:52pm  
    JamesBOMB
    Level 1

I'm posting this again here since many of our new users can't seem to find the FAQ .

Many players get tired of always having to type the same text over and over. Likewise, many get tired of having to go through the voice chat menus to say something. So players end up "binding" keys to say stuff.

Binding is simply assigning a key to a certain task. This means that every time you press the specified key, the same thing will automatically happen. You can bind lots of things to keys like scripts, tweaks, commands, almost anything when you get good at it.

A lot of your keyboard keys are already "bound" to certain things, like opening up the limbo menu or moving or selecting weapons.

In this thread I will only cover how to bind chats (voice and text). Look in the other threads of this section to learn more about making configs and scripts.

First you must know that there are 2 ways of making ET remember your key binds:

1. Type them in the console while playing (press the tilde "~" key while playing). Be sure to write a "/" at the beginning or your code in the console to make it work... otherwise it will come out in the global chat.
    2. Type them in your "config" file (the easiest would be to create an "autoexec.cfg" file in your etmain folder with the binds you want, so they work every time you start ET).

The correct way to write a bind is like this:

bind key action

In the following text I'm using x for every example. Substitute "x" for any key you want (see below for list of keys that can be bound).

Now on to the binds...

If you want to display a message, you can bind it like this:

bind x "say I just killed you!!!"

So now, every time you press the x key, you will automatically say to everyone "I just killed you!!!"

To say private things only to your team, you can use the "say_team" command instead:

bind x "say_team I need help!"

You can also add color to your text binds the same way you do when adding colors to your name.

Here is a final example of what it will look like (with colors):

bind x "say_team ^1I ^4need ^2help!"

Using this bind, every time you press the "x" key, you will say only to your team:

I need help!

Voice chat binds work the same way as text binds (see above) but instead of using the "say" and "say_team" commands, you use "vsay" and "vsay_team".

Like this:
    bind x "vsay GoodGame"
    Everyone in the game will hear "good game"

or like this:
    bind x "vsay_team LetsGo"
    Everyone on your team will hear "let's go"

For a list of available vsay's: http://velocity.lunarpages.com/scripting.html

To help you further, here is a list of all the keys you can bind stuff to:

(key's name ---> key's code to be written in config or console)

F1 ---> f1
    F2 ---> f2
    F3 ---> f3
    F4 ---> f4
    F5 ---> f5
    F6 ---> f6
    F7 ---> f7
    F8 ---> f8
    F9 ---> f9
    F10 ---> f10
    F11 ---> f11
    F12 ---> f12

Insert ---> ins
    Home ---> home
    Page Up ---> pgup
    Page Down ---> pgdn
    Delete ---> del
    End ---> end

Up Arrow ---> uparrow
    Down Arrow ---> downarrow
    Left Arrow ---> leftarrow
    Right Arrow ---> rightarrow

0 ---> 0
    1 ---> 1
    2 ---> 2
    3 ---> 3
    4 ---> 4
    5 ---> 5
    6 ---> 6
    7 ---> 7
    8 ---> 8
    9 ---> 9

Caps Lock ---> capslock
    Pause ---> Pause
    Tab ---> tab
    Enter ---> enter
    Space ---> space
    Single Quote ---> '
    Hyphen ---> -
    Forward Slash ---> /
    Semicolon ---> semicolon
    Equals ---> =
    Left Bracket ---> [
    Right Bracket ---> ]
    Backslash ---> \
    Comma ---> ,
    Period ---> .
    Alt ---> alt
    Ctrl ---> ctrl
    Shift ---> shift
    Escape ---> esc

keypad Ins (or zero) ---> kp_ins
    keypad End (or one) --> kp_end
    keypad down arrow (or two) ---> kp_downarrow
    keypad PgDn (or three) ---> bind kp_pgdn
    keypad left arrow (or four) ---> kp_leftarrow
    keypad five ---> kp_5
    keypad right arrow (or six) ---> kp_rightarrow
    keypad Home (or seven) ---> kp_home
    keypad up arrow (or eight) ---> kp_uparrow
    keypad PgUp (or nine) ---> kp_pgup
    keypad Del (or period) ---> bind kp_del
    keypad Enter ---> kp_enter
    keypad + ---> kp_plus
    keypad - ---> kp_minus
    keypad * ---> *
    keypad / ---> kp_slash

Hope this helps you all!

:wink:
  • Mon Feb 28 2005, 06:47pm
    Wed Jul 18 2007, 06:08pm  
    JamesBOMB
    Level 1

If you want to add some color to your name or text chats, you'll have to use the .

^1 --->
    ^2 --->
    ^3 --->
    ^4 --->
    ^5 --->
    ^6 --->
    ^7 --->
    ^8 ---> Black
    ^9 --->

^a ---> orange
    ^b ---> pink
    ^c ---> violet
    ^d ---> light blue
    ^e ---> light violet
    ^f ---> light Blau
    ^g ---> light green
    ^h ---> dark grün
    ^i ---> dark rot
    ^j ---> wine red
    ^k ---> orange red
    ^l ---> orange yellow
    ^m ---> olive green
    ^n ---> beige
    ^o ---> beige yellow
    ^p ---> black
    ^q ---> red
    ^r ---> light green
    ^s ---> dark yellow
    ^t ---> dark blue
    ^u ---> blue green
    ^v ---> pink
    ^w ---> white
    ^x ---> orange
    ^y ---> grey
    ^z ---> grey

So if you want to make your name red and blue do the following code:

^1

The color codes will not appear on screen and will disappear as you write them if you write them in the console.

If you want to practice and test out your new name color, you can use this handy little device: http://enemy-territory.4players.de:1041/page.php?4
  • JamesBOMB
    Level 1

So you know a server and you want to connect to it. How do you do it?

Its easy, go in game, pull down the console (using the tilde (~) key, left of the 1, above tab) and enter "/connect" plus the server's IP adress. Lets say you want to join this forum's server, you would type in console:

/connect 195.4.17.142:27960

Or you can use a server browser (like All Seeying Eye). I gave some links to some of them in my posts above.
  • Ferwoude
    Level 1

i have downlaoded ET but there are no servers when i want to play online can u tell me what i should do please
  • Wed Jun 14 2006, 04:08pm

Z-Man
    Level 8

Make sure "Source" is set to "internet" and make sure you have no firewalls blocking ET.
  • Sat Jun 24 2006, 06:22pm
    Sat Jun 24 2006, 06:22pm  
    Kakashi703
    Level 1

Thx im new to this very new :wink: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:
  • marine1992
    Level 1

What's the most usable mods to play Enemy Territory?ETpro,ETpub or Jaymod?
  • Mon Jun 26 2006, 12:20pm

Z-Man
    Level 8

All of the above...
  • Sasuke400
    Level 1

where is the manual?
Moderator(s): EasyRider, Nail, Warning!Mika This topic is now closed

Welcome

Username or Email:

Password:

[ ]