Forums

• stove
    Level 1

i was wondering what is the recommended settings for hunkmegs and soundmegs are?
    and can or should i set zonemegs to 1500 or 2000 cuz i have 3 gigs of ram?
  • Nail
    Admin

I doubt more than 128 will make a difference on any
  • Purgah
    Level 10

These are the ones I always used:

Sound: 128
    Hunk: 192
    Zone: cannot be changed. It stays 'latched'

I hear Gotenks once say there is no map which uses more then 120 mb of sound. For the hunkmegs I think it is mainly must be set higher for the map loading. With some custom maps you can get a hunkmeg error when it is set to its default.
  • Tue Sep 09 2008, 01:48am

Gotenks
    Level 9

no i believe it was maps at the time 128 was about as big as maps got... which is hunkmegs... sounds are smaller i believe haven't looked too much into it
  • Here4Scripts
    Level 1

Nail got it, you might want to use com_hunkmegs at 128, but the rest are probably fine at default, no need to change anymore.

Although, you can try using this if you want to:

seta com_hunkmegs "128"
    Amount of memory (MB) assign to the hunk.
    //The amount of memory to use for maps, textures and similar things. Set this to 128 (i.e. ET will use 128MB of RAM). The default value in ET is 56 which often too less and causes problems like Hunk_Allocate TempMemory: failed on 1937504(kicked).
    As a rule RTCW should not use more then 3/4 of the total amount of available RAM. You specify the total amount of RAM through com_hunkmegs. Both com_zonemegs and com_soundmegs take a share out of the amount of memory specified with that setting.
    Of course there is no reason to let RTCW use less than 3/4 of your RAM either..
    Bellow you\'ll probably notice that the maximum value used for com_soundMegs and com_zoneMegs is "64". This is because higher values do not really have an effect. It makes no sense to increase this two memory settings beyond 64 ...but some still use 128.
    Most people have more RAM then 512MB, but it is questionable whether RTCW really benefits or can even allocate more but there are settings for more.

seta com_soundMegs "32"
    //Sets the amount of memory (MB) to allocate for loaded sound files. default is 16

seta com_zoneMegs "64"
    //Amount of RAM to allocate to... Zone. Map & texture loading...can be adjusted to provide better performance on systems with more mb of memory. default is 16

~~~~

So what should you pick!!!!!

128MB of RAM available. What get a new PC.....
    seta com_hunkMegs "72"
    seta com_soundMegs "24"
    seta com_zoneMegs "16"

256MB of RAM available.
    seta com_hunkMegs "124"
    seta com_soundMegs "32"
    seta com_zoneMegs "32"

512MB of RAM available.
    seta com_hunkMegs "256"
    seta com_soundMegs "32"
    seta com_zoneMegs "32"

1GB + of system RAM